Thursday, November 18, 2010

Like Emptiness In Harmony

My cooking gene kicks in with daylight savings time. When the fall fog rolls in I want to chop, saute, stew and roast things while listening to NPR. Is it the early darkness? Maybe the cooler weather? Who knows what makes me absolutely NEED to cook something savory, bake something pumpkiny, and sip something cidery? When I was a kid I hated the chore of starting dinner for the family before my mother got home from work. When I was a young wife, I was filled with anxiety and dread whenever I had to cook for anyone with the title "in-law." When my kids were at home, cooking dinner was what I had to do after I had worked all day. In the autumn of my life I cook because I want to.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

This is such a perfect reflection of how I have felt about cooking over the times in my life. I never knew it could be so common.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Agree :)