Tuesday, April 6, 2010

....Sat on their park bench like bookends

Book club tonight at my house. I love these gatherings of food, years and years of shared friendship and fabulous conversation. This month our group read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - A Flavia DeLuce Mystery. It was a fun read. To be truthful, this is just not my kind of book. Try as I might, I am just not enchanted with English Mysteries,even when the sleuth is a charming, witty, precocious,quirky eleven year old. I prefer novels that stir my soul, pique my curiosity about life, challenge my understanding of human nature, and open up new vistas. I love details and metaphors, and characters vivid enough to accompany me on my morning walk. Though I predict that several of my dear friends will have loved the book, I did not. When I finished this book I was done. I like books that linger.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I am SOOOOOO on your same page!
Enjoy your friends, conversation and good food.

Brig said...

Your so lucky to be part of such a group. I've been looking for a book club group since we moved here five years ago. None! So I just read, and pass on via http://www.bookcrossing.com/

Dolores said...

Oh the joy of getting together with friends...... one of God's gifts! Enjoy!!!!