Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In Restless Dreams I Walked Alone

J and I walked around Greenlake yesterday. She had just returned from a wonderful long vacation. They stayed in a fabulous house at the trail head. They hiked in the desert and she took 200 pictures of wild things. She climbed rocks and scrambled canyons. They visited family, sailed a bit, ate port marinated figs with dark chocolate. They went into SanDiego for a few days. She didn't want to come home. Maybe they will go to Puerto Rico, or maybe they will go to Australia. Now she is looking forward to getting the boat in the water for evening sails and so they can cruise this summer, that is if the kids don't need her to babysit. Three miles we walked and for three miles she talked. And talked . And talked more. Nonstop. My few lines were strategically placed: "oh my" "wow!" or "hmmm..." She is my absolute best walking partner. She has never noticed that I can't talk and walk at the same time.

5 comments:

Tabor said...

This post is great. I am sure that babysitting will still be a demand...at least it is at my house. That last line made me chuckle because I can talk and walk non-stop which is irritating as hell if you are trying to observe wildlife.

Mage said...

Oh, delightful. I have a friend like that and I am left nodding away.

Helen said...

I can relate! In a few weeks I will have the pleasure of a visit from one of my dearest friends ever. I swear she 'saved' my life several times. We walk, talk, laugh, sing, drink, eat ~~ quite well together.

Brig said...

Thanks for a great post. I can walk & talk, although my hand gestures can trip me up...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for sharing. I am like you - when I walk - I do not really like to talk!!